DSL Modem Connection and DSL Filters
This section provides a tutorial example of how to connect a DSL modem to a phone jack, and how to add DSK filters to telephone cables for regular phone devices.
Base on the connection picture mentioned in the previous section, the first thing is
to get the DSL modem connected correctly. After reading the DSL connection manual provided by
the telephone company, we did the following tasks:
1. Calling the telephone company to make sure that the DSL function has been activated on the phone line.
2. Adding a DSL filter to each phone jack that used by a regular phone line device like
a telephone set, a phone message recording machine, or a fax machine.
3. Plugging in one end of a phone cable into the phone port (labeled as PHONE LINE) of the DSL modem.
4. Plugging in the other end of the phone cable to a phone jack directly without any DSL filter.
5. Connecting the power supply to the DSL modem.
6. Watching lights on the front panel of the DSL modem. The POWER light and the DSL light should be lit in solid green.
At this moment, the DSL modem was working and the PPP network is ready.
If the DSL light is flashing, or in other color, the DSL modem failed to work with these possibilities:
- The DSL function is not activated yet - Call the telephone company to activate the DSL function,
which may take several days.
- The phone cable is plugged in the Ethernet port of the DSL modem - Re-plug the phone cable to the phone port of the modem.
- The DSL modem is connected with a DSL filter by a mistake - Remove the DSL filter from the phone cable of the modem.
- A telephone set is connected without a DSL filter by a mistake - Add a DSL filter to the phone cable of the telephone set.
- The telephone line coming to the house is not capable serve the DSL function - Call the telephone company to fix
the telephone line.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Introduction to Microsoft Windows
Introduction to Windows Explorer
Introduction to Internet Explorer
"Paint" Program and Computer Graphics
GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program
JPEG Image File Format Quality and Size
GIF Image File Format and Transparent Background
"WinZip" - ZIP File Compression Tool
"WinRAR" - RAR and ZIP File Compression Tool
FTP Server, Client and Commands
"FileZilla" - Free FTP Client and Server
Web Server Log Files and Analysis Tool - "Analog"
Spyware Adware Detection and Removal
IE Addon Program Listing and Removal
Vundo (VirtuMonde/VirtuMundo) - vtsts.dll Removal
Trojan and Malware "Puper" Description and Removal
VSToolbar (VSAdd-in.dll) - Description and Removal
Spybot - Spyware Blocker, Detection and Removal
Setting Up and Using Crossover Cable Network
►Home Network Gateway - DSL Modem/Wireless Router
Wireless DSL Modem Gateway - Connection View
Wireless DSL Modem Gateway - Network View
►DSL Modem Connection and DSL Filters
Connecting a Computer to the DSL Modem with a Cable
Home Network Modem Gateway Configuration
DSL Modem Internet Connection Details
Home Network Configuration Summary
Home Network Wireless Connection Settings
Windows Task Manager - The System Performance Tool
"tasklist" Command Line Tool to List Process Information
"msconfig" - System Configuration Tool
Configuring and Managing System Services
Windows Registry Key and Value Management Tools
Startup Programs Removal for Better System Performance
Winsock - Windows Sockets API
Java on Windows
Glossary of Terms
Full Version in PDF/ePUB