Outdated: Downloading and Installing J2SE 1.6.0 on Windows
This section describes how to download and install Java SE 1.6 Update 2 on Windows.
To learn JDBC, you have to a copy of JDK (Java Development Kit) installed on your machine.
The latest version of JDK is JDK 6u2 (Java(TM) SE Development Kit 6 Update 2),
which is also called Java SE 6 (Java Standard Edition 6). Here is what I did
to download and install JDK 6u2 on my local machine.
- Open the Java SE Download page with this URL: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/.
- Click the download button next to "JDK 6u2".
You will see a new page with a list of different download files of JDK 6u2.
- Locate the "Windows Platform - Java(TM) SE Development Kit 6 Update 2" section.
- Click the hyper link of "Windows Offline Installation (build 06), Multi-language",
which links to jdk-6u2-windows-i586-p.exe with size of 65.57 MB.
- Save jdk-6u2-windows-i586-p.exe to a temporary directory.
- Double-click on jdk-6u2-windows-i586-p.exe to start the installation wizard.
- The installation wizard will guide you to finish the installation.
To test the installation, open a command window to try the java command.
If you are getting the following output, your installation was ok:
java version "1.6.0_02"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_02-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0_02-b06, mixed mode,
Last update: 2015.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Java Tools Terminology
Installing Java 8 on Windows
'javac' - The Java Program Compiler
'java' - The Java Program Launcher
'jdb' - The Java Debugger
'jconsole' - Java Monitoring and Management Console
'jstat' - JVM Statistics Monitoring Tool
JVM Troubleshooting Tools
jvisualvm (Java VisualVM) - JVM Visual Tool
'jar' - The JAR File Tool
'javap' - The Java Class File Disassembler
'keytool' - Public Key Certificate Tool
'native2ascii' - Native-to-ASCII Encoding Converter
►Outdated: Downloading and Installing J2SE 1.6.0 on Windows
Outdated: Downloading and Installing J2SE 1.5.0 on Windows
PDF Printing Version