jdb - The Java Debugger
This chapter provides tutorial notes on the Java debugger 'jdb'. Topics include starting 'jdb' to debug an application, running 'jdb' separately from the application, debugging remote application, debugging multi-thread application, listing and switching execution threads.
These sections are omitted from this Web preview version. To view the full content,
see information on how to obtain the full version this book.
jdb - Java Debugger Command and Options
Starting a Debugging Session with jdb
Debugging Applications with Separate jdb Sessions
Debugging Java Applications Remotely
Listing Debugging Commands with "help" Command
PrimeNumberSeeker.java - Multi-Thread Sample Program
Starting Debugging Session on a Multi-Thread Application
Stepping through Statements of a Child Thread
Checking Variable Values in a Debugging Session
Debugging the Main Thread of a Multi-Thread Application
Switching Execution Threads in a Debugging Session
Suspending Main Thread to Debug Child Thread
- "jdb", Java Debugger, is a nice debugging tool. But it only offers a command line interface, not
so easy to use. It is much more efficient to use a graphical interface debugger.
- JPDA is well designed technology, allowing us to debug Java applications remotely.
- Debugging multi-thread application is tricky. The following "jdb" notes may help you.
- Whenever one thread reaches a break point, all other threads are stopped also.
- The command prompt tells what is the current thread.
- "where all" tells where the execution are currently in all threads.
- "threads" lists all the threads with thread indexes as Hex numbers.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Java Tools Terminology
Java Tools Included in JDK
javac - The Java Program Compiler
jar - The JAR File Tool
jlink - The JRE Linker
jmod - The JMOD File Tool
jimage - The JIMAGE File Tool
jpackage - Binary Package Builder
java - The Java Program Launcher
jdeps - The Java Class Dependency Analyzer
jdeprscan - The Java Deprecated API Scanner
►jdb - The Java Debugger
jcmd - The JVM Diagnostic Tool
jconsole - Java Monitoring and Management Console
jstat - JVM Statistics Monitoring Tool
JVM Troubleshooting Tools
jhsdb - The Java HotSpot Debugger
jvisualvm (Java VisualVM) - JVM Visual Tool
jmc - Java Mission Control
javap - The Java Class File Disassembler
keytool - Public Key Certificate Tool
jarsigner - JAR File Signer
jshell - Java Language Shell
jrunscript - Script Code Shell
serialver - serialVersionUID Generator
native2ascii - Native-to-ASCII Encoding Converter
Full Version in PDF/EPUB