Windows Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 5.62, by Dr. Herong Yang
Removing YahooMessenger.exe as a Startup Program
This section provides a tutorial example on how to remove YahooMessenger.exe as a startup program from the Windows registry.
The next startup program to look at is the YahooMessenger.exe. Of course, YahooMessenger.exe was installed as a startup program when I installed Yahoo Messenger on my Windows system.
Based on the HijackThis report, Yahoo installed YahooMessenger.exe as a startup program in the HKCU hive of the Windows registry:
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger \YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
When YahooMessenger.exe is running, you will see a Yahoo icon in the
system tray, the right hand side of the taskbar, as shown in this picture:
Do I need to run YahooMessenger.exe as a startup program? I don't think so, because I can run Yahoo Messenger myself whenever I want to. So I am removing YahooMessenger.exe as a startup program.
1. Right mouse click on the Yahoo icon in the taskbar and select Exit to stop this program.
2. Run "regedit.exe" and local the registry key: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
3. Export this "Run" registry key to a registry file: HKCU_Startup.reg as a backup.
4. Select the registry value "Yahoo! Pager" and press Delete key to remove this value.
5. Restart the system. YahooMessenger.exe is not in the startup program list anymore.
Table of Contents