Windows Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 5.62, by Dr. Herong Yang
Removing NetZero exec.exe as a Startup Program
This section provides a tutorial example on how to remove NetZero exec.exe as a startup program from the Windows registry.
The next startup program to look at is the NetZero exec.exe. I think NetZero exec.exe was pre-installed on my Windows system as part of the NetZero dial up application.
Based on the HijackThis report, NetZero installed exec.exe as a startup program in the HKCU hive of the Windows registry :
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NetZero_uoltray] C:\Program Files\NetZero\exec.exe regrun
When NetZero exec.exe is running, you will see a NetZero icon in the
system tray, the right hand side of the taskbar, as shown in this picture:
Do I need to run NetZero exec.exe as a startup program? Absolutely no, because I don't really use the NetZero dial up program. So I am removing NetZero exec.exe as a startup program.
1. Right mouse click on the NetZero icon in the taskbar and select Exit to stop this program.
2. Run "regedit.exe" and local the registry key: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
3. Export this "Run" registry key to a registry file: HKCU_Startup.reg as a backup.
4. Select the registry value "NetZero_uoltray" and press Delete key to remove this value.
5. Restart the system. NetZero exec.exe is not in the startup program list anymore.
Table of Contents