Windows Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 5.62, by Dr. Herong Yang
Removing GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe as a Startup Program
This section provides a tutorial example on how to remove GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe as a startup program from the Windows registry.
The next startup program to look at is the GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe. Of course, GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe was installed as a startup program when I installed Google Toolbar on my Windows system.
Based on the HijackThis report, Yahoo installed GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe as a startup program in the HKCU hive of the Windows registry:
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier \1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
When GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe is running, you will see no icon in the system tray, the right hand side of the taskbar. GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe is running quietly as a background process. I see it listed in on the Processes tab on Task Manager.
Do I need to run GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe as a startup program? I don't think so. I don't really know what this program is doing. So I am removing GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe as a startup program.
1. End the running process GoogleToolbarNotifier with Task Manager.
2. Run "regedit.exe" and local the registry key: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
3. Export this "Run" registry key to a registry file: HKCU_Startup.reg as a backup.
4. Select the registry value "swg" and press Delete key to remove this value.
5. Restart the system. GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe is not in the startup program list anymore.
Table of Contents