Windows Security Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 3.00, by Dr. Herong Yang
Deleting History Files in IE
This section provides a tutorial example on how to review and delete history files in IE (Internet Explorer).
While reviewing the IE history settings, you should also review history files and download files stored by IE on your hard disk.
1. Run IE and click "Tools > Internet Options" menu. Then click the "General" tab.
2. Click the "Settings" button in the "Browsing history" section. You will see a dialog box showing history details.
3. Click the "View files" button of the "Temporary Internet Files" tab. You will see a folder with all history files.
For example, I have the following history files on my Windows 7 system:
\Users\herong\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files Name Internet Address ---- ---------------- %7Bcontrols%7D.js http://maps.gstatic.com/cat_js/intl... %7Bstats%7D.js http://maps.gstatic.com/cat_js/intl... 1028438229 Cookie:firstname.lastname@example.org/... 5YB-ifwqHP20Yn... http://themes.googleusercontent.com/static/... ads.minified-1... http://apps.skype.com/home/ads-minified... cfusion Cookie:email@example.com/cfusion ...
Looks like Google is doing some tracking on my. Both gstatic.com and googleadservice.com are owned by Google.
Cookies are also stored in this folder.
4. After review them, select and delete all history files.
5. Click the "View objects" button of the "Temporary Internet Files" tab. You will see a folder with ActiveX objects. Don't delete any objects for now.
The picture below shows accessing and deleting history files in IE:
Last update: 2013.
Table of Contents