Windows Security Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 3.00, by Dr. Herong Yang
Adding Tracking Protection List in IE
This section provides a tutorial example on how to add a tracking protection list and view its list of blocked websites in IE (Internet Explorer).
The forth group of IE (Internet Explorer) add-ons is called "Tracking Protection" lists, which allows you block Websites that tracks your browsing history.
Each tracking protection list contains a list of Web addresses of known tracking tools that you want IE to block them.
First, let's add a tracking protection list prepared by Microsoft.
1. Run IE and go to: http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Browser/p3p/Default.html. You will see the "Tracking Protection Lists" Web page.
2. Click the "Block third-party Google site tracking" box near the bottom to add this tracking protection list. You will see a confirmation dialog box with the following message:
Add a Tracking Protection List Tracking Protection helps you protect your privacy by filtering out some website content. Internet Explorer checks the list updates once a week.
3. Click the "Add List" button to let IE add the tracking protection list.
4. Click "Tools > Manage add-ons" menu. And click the "Tracking Protection" icon on the left. You will see all tracking protection lists currently used in IE.
5. Double click on "Block third-party Google site tracking". You will see the list of web address blocked by this list.
Name: Block third-party Google site tracking Address: http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Browser/p3p/google.txt File: msFilterList : Expires=1 # Blocks 3rd-party Google tracking # Last Modified: 11/07/2013 # -d news.google.com -d youtube.com - apis.google.com/*plusone* -d plus.google.com -d googleadservices.com -d googletagservices.com -d googlesyndication.com -d googleadservices.com -d google-analytics.com -d doubleclick.net -d doubleclick.com ...
This list will definitely make Google unhappy. It will block Google ads on all websites. Try to visit youtube.com. You a large white space instead of Google ads at the top of the page.
6. Select "Block third-party Google site tracking" and click the "Disable" button, if you don't like this behavior.
The picture below shows tracking protection listed added in IE:
Last update: 2013.
Table of Contents