PKI Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - v2.20, by Dr. Herong Yang
Exporting Public Key Certificate from Firefox
This section provides a tutorial example on how to export the public key certificate from a personal certification with a private key from Firefox to an external file in PEM format.
After creating a backup copy of my personal certificate, I also want to create public version of my certificate, which only contains the public key. I can distribute my public certificate to others to use, like encrypt an important document so only me can decrypt with my private key.
1. Open the Certificate Manager in Firefox as described in the previous tutorial.
2. Click the "Your Certificates" tab. I see my personal certificate listed under "COMODO CA Limited".
3. Select my certificate and click "View..." button. The certificate viewer shows up.
4. Click "Details" tab and click "Export..." button at the bottom. The save file dialog box shows up.
5. Enter find a folder, enter a file name like "MyPublicKeyCert.crt", and keep "PEM" as the file type.
6. Click "Save" button. The certificate of the public key is exported. No password is asked, because private key is not included.
Table of Contents