"TextStream" Class - Input or Output Stream
This section provides a tutorial example on how to use the TextStream class that represents an input or output stream connected to a file. TextStream class is provided in the Scripting Runtime DLL, scrrun.dll.
TextStream: A class representing an input or output stream connected to a file. It offers the following
properties and methods:
- "AtEndOfLine": Property to return true if the current reading position is before
the end of a line.
- "AtEndOfStream": Property to return true if the current reading position is before
the end of the file.
- "Column": Property to return the column number of the current position.
- "Line": Property to return the line number of the current position.
- "Read(n)": Method to return a string of characters up to the specified number.
- "ReadAll()": Method to return a string of the rest characters in the stream.
- "ReadLine()": Method to return a string of the rest characters in the line.
Here is a sample ASP page to show you how to create and open a text file.
<script language="vbscript" runat="server">
' Copyright (c) 1999 by Dr. Herong Yang
' This program shows how to create and open files as text stream
response.write("<b>Tests on the TextStream class</b>:<br/>")
' Getting the FileSystemObject
set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
' Creating a new file for writing
set out = fs.CreateTextFile("c:\temp\test.txt",true,false)
' Open an existing file for reading
set inn = fs.OpenTextFile("c:\temp\test.txt",1)
while inn.AtEndOfStream = false
line = inn.ReadLine()
response.write(line & "<br/>")
Tests on TextStream class:
- If you look at the directory c:\temp, you will a new file "test.txt".
- You can not create new files in c:\inetpub\wwwroot. If you try, you will get
"permission denied" error message.
- "in" seems to be a reserved word. So I used "inn" as a variable name.
- "wend" ends the "while" statement. I really don't know why the designers can
not use "end while".
Table of Contents
About This Book
ASP (Active Server Pages) Introduction
IIS (Internet Information Services) 5.0
MS Script Debugger
ASP Built-in Run-time Objects
Creating and Managing Cookies
Managing Sessions with and without Cookies
►scrrun.dll - Scripting Runtime DLL
What Is scrrun.dll?
"Dictionary" Class - Collection of Key-Value Pairs
"FileSystemObject" Class - File System
"Drive" Class - Disk Drive
"Folder" Class - File Folder
"File" Class - File Folder
►"TextStream" Class - Input or Output Stream
Managing Response Header Lines
Calculation Speed and Response Time
ADO (ActiveX Data Object) DLL
Working with MS Access Database
Guest Book Application Example
Full Version in PDF/EPUB