LVM (Logical Volume Manager)
Provides introductions and tutorial on LVM (Logical Volume Manager). Topics include introduction to LVM components: PV (Physical Volume), VG (Volume Group), LV (Logical Volume); creating and managing PV, VG, LV; extending file systems on LVs on the fly.
What Is LVM (Logical Volume Manager)
Create New PV (Physical Volume)
Add/Remove PV on VG on the Fly
Create LV on VG on the Fly
Extend /home LV with a New Partition
- LVM (Logical Volume Manager) is a storage manager that allows you to create a single or
multiple logical storage volumes across multiple physical disks or partitions.
- PV (Physical Volume) represents a single physical hard disk, or a partition of a hard disk,
to be managed by the LVM.
- VG (Volume Group) represents a virtual storage device made up by one or more PVs
and managed by the LVM.
- LV (Logical Volume) represents a virtual storage partition in a VG
managed by the LVM (Logical Volume Manager).
- A file system on a LV can be easily extended on the fly to take additional
storage spaces from the VG.
- "lvm" is the command line tool to manage LVM's PVs, VGs and LVs.
- "pvs" or "pvdisplay" commands can be used to display PV information.
- "vgs" or "vgdisplay" commands can be used to display VG information.
- "lvs" or "lvdisplay" commands can be used to display LV information.
- "pvcreate", "vgcreate" and "lvcreate" commands can be used to create PVs, VGs, and LVs.
- "vgextend" and "lvextend" commands can be used to extend storage space of VGs and LVs.
- "resize2fs" command can be used to extend ext2/3/4 file systems.
- "xfs_growfs" command can be used to extend xfs file systems.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Introduction to Linux Systems
Cockpit - Web Portal for Administrator
Files and Directories
Users and Groups
Block Devices and Partitions
►LVM (Logical Volume Manager)
SELinux - Security-Enhanced Linux
Network Connection on CentOS
Software Package Manager on CentOS - DNF and YUM
Running Apache Web Server (httpd) on Linux Systems
Running PHP Scripts on Linux Systems
Running MySQL Database Server on Linux Systems
Running Python Scripts on Linux Systems
vsftpd - Very Secure FTP Daemon
Postfix - Mail Transport Agent (MTA)
Dovecot - IMAP and POP3 Server
Email Client Tools - Mail User Agents (MUA)
LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol)
GCC - C/C++ Compiler
Graphics Environments on Linux
Conda - Environment and Package Manager
Tools and Utilities
Full Version in PDF/EPUB