Publishing with XML - Herong's Tutorial Examples - v4.02, by Dr. Herong Yang
Web Page Generation with hyPub Perl Programs
This section describes how a Perl program is used in hyPub to control the Web page files generation process
Introduction to Perl
Perl is the most flexible scripting language that you can use for managing text files and executing other programs. If you want to try it, follow these steps:
1. Download ActivePerl from http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/.
2. Install it by following the installation instructions.
3. Try the hello.pl program:
print "Hello world!\n";
3. Try the dir.pl program with executes another program through the system function:
web.pl - hyPub Perl Program to Generate Web Pages
In order to perform the steps described in the previous section, I wrote a Perl program called web.pl as part of the hyPub. You can run web.pl with 3 command options:
1. "web.pl compile" - It does the following steps to generate Web page files:
2. "web.pl link" - It works on all Web page files to evaluate variables and build hyper links.
3. "web.pl finish" - It applies the final XSL transformation with some final touches.
Table of Contents