Windows Security Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 3.00, by Dr. Herong Yang
Windows 7: Turning on Windows Defender
This section provides a tutorial example on how to turn on Windows Defender for real-time protection and automatic scanning on Windows 7 systems.
To try Windows Defender, you should turn it on from the Action Center.
1. Run "windows defender" command from the search input field after clicking the Start button. You will see "windows defender" screen showing up.
2. Click "Tools" menu, then "Options" link. You will see setting for "Automatic scanning".
3. Turn on automatic virus scan as show below:
[ ] Automatically scan my computer (recommended) Frequency: Monday Approximate time: 5:00 PM Type: Full scan [x] Check for updated definitions before scanning [x] Run a scan only when system is idle
4. Click "Real-time protection" link to turn it on:
[x] Use real-time protection (recommended) Choose which security agents you want to run [x] Scan downloaded files and attachments [x] Scan programs that run on my computer
6. Click "Advanced" link to turn on more security agents:
[x] Scan archive files [x] Scan e-mail [x] Scan removable drive [x] Use heuristics [x] Create restore points
5. Click "Save" button to save changes.
The picture below shows you Windows Defender Real-time Protection setting on Windows 7 system:
Last update: 2013.
Table of Contents