Windows 7: Forefront Real-Time Protection
This section describes the real-time protection function offered by Forefront Client Security from Microsoft.
The most important function of Forefront Client Security is the
real-time protection function, which alerts you when malware attempts
to install itself or run on your computer.
Forefront Client Security offers the following real-time protection agents
- Auto Start - Monitors lists of programs that are allowed to automatically run when you start your computer. Malware can be set to run automatically when Windows starts. That way, it can run without your knowledge and collect information. It can also make your computer start or run slowly.
- System Configuration (Settings) - Monitors security-related settings in Windows. Malware can change hardware and software security settings, and then collect information that can be used to further undermine your computer's security.
- Internet Explorer Add-ons - Monitors programs that automatically run when you start Internet Explorer. Malware can masquerade as web browser add-ons and run without your knowledge.
- Internet Explorer Configurations (Settings) - Monitors browser security settings, which are your first line of defense against malicious content on the Internet. Malware can try to change these settings without your knowledge.
- Internet Explorer Downloads - Monitors files and programs that are designed to work with Internet Explorer, such as ActiveX controls and software installation programs. These files can be downloaded, installed, or run by the browser itself. Malware can be included with these files and installed without your knowledge.
- Services and Drivers - Monitors services and drivers as they interact with Windows and your programs. Because services and drivers perform essential computer functions (such as allowing devices to work with your computer), they have access to important software in the operating system. Malware can use services and drivers to gain access to your computer or to try to run undetected on your computer like normal operating system components.
- Application Execution - Monitors security-related settings and redirected folders used by Windows Explorer. Malware can use some settings to monitor your network traffic without your knowledge. Malware can also redirect special folders, like your My Documents folder, to a new location.
- Application Registration - Monitors tools and files in the operating system where programs can register to run at any time, not just when you start Windows or another program. Malware can register a program to start without notice and run, for example, at a scheduled time each day. This allows the program to collect information about you or your computer or gain access to important software in the operating system without your knowledge.
- Windows Add-ons - Monitors add-on programs (also known as software utilities) for Windows. Add-ons are designed to enhance your computing experience in areas such as security, browsing, productivity, and multimedia. However, add-ons can also install programs that will collect information about you or your online activities and expose sensitive, personal information, often to advertisers.
- On Access Protection - Monitors when programs begin running. Client Security alerts you when it detects certain software specified in the definitions. In severe cases, the detected software can be suspended from running until you choose to take action.
It is strongly recommended to turn on all real-time protection agents listed above to give you the most complete protection.
Last update: 2013.
Table of Contents
About This Windows Security Book
Windows 8: System Security Review
Windows 8: System Security Protection
Windows 8 System Recovery
Windows 8 Defender for Real-Time Protection
Windows 7: System Security Review
Windows 7: System Security Protection
Windows 7 System Recovery
►Windows 7 Forefront Client Security
Windows 7: What is Forefront Client Security?
►Windows 7: Forefront Real-Time Protection
Windows 7: Forefront Configuration Settings
Windows 7: Forefront Full Scan
Windows 7: Forefront Log Files
Windows 7: Forefront Software Explorer
Windows 7: Forefront Exploring Network Programs
Windows 7: Forefront Exploring Winsock Services
Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials
Windows 7: What Is Windows Defender
Windows 7: Turning on Windows Defender
Norton Power Eraser - Anti-Virus Scan Tool
McAfee Virus and Malware Protection Tools
Spybot - Spyware Blocker, Detection and Removal
Keeping Firefox Secure
Keeping IE (Internet Explorer) Secure
Malware (Adware, Spyware, Trojan, Worm, and Virus)
HijackThis - Browser Hijacker Diagnosis Tool
IE Add-on Program Listing and Removal
"Conduit Search" - Malware Detection and Removal
"Tube Dimmer", "Scorpion Saver" or "Adpeak" Malware
Malware Manual Removal Experience
Vundo (VirtuMonde/VirtuMundo) - vtsts.dll Removal
Trojan and Malware "Puper" Description and Removal
VSToolbar (VSAdd-in.dll) - Description and Removal
PWS (Password Stealer) Trojan Infection Removal
MS08-001 Vulnerability on Windows Systems
Antivirus System PRO
PDF Printing Version