Gene and Chromosome
This chapter provides quick introductions about gene, genome and chromosome.
What Is Gene
What Is Human Genome
Gene Address on Chromosome
DNA Coding and Codons
Gene Expression - Building Proteins
Genetic Transcription - Creating mRNA
Genetic Translation - Creating Protein
DNA Gene Sequence - Exons and Introns
Chromosome Replication (or DNA Replication)
- A Gene is a section of a double helix DNA structure that contains a specific sequence of base pairs representing a specific coded instruction to construct building blocks for living organisms.
- Human Genome is the complete set of genes packaged inside 23 chromosome pairs in the nuclei of each human cell.
- A DNA codon is a sequence of 3 nucleotides with different combinations of nucleobases: Adenosine (A), Cytidine (C), Guanosine (G), Thymidine (T) and Uridine (U).
- Gene Expression is the process of building new proteins according to the instructions stored a given gene.
- Genetic Transcription is the process of copying genetic information of a gene from DNA to a special RNA molecule called mRNA (Messenger RNA).
- Genetic Translation is the process of translating the nucleotide sequence of a mRNA (Messenger RNA) into the amino acid sequence linked with peptide bonds to build a new protein according to the genome codon map chart.
- Chromosome Replication is the process that all 46 paired chromosomes in a human cell get replicated into 2 sets of identical 46 paired chromosomes.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Introduction of Molecules
Molecule Names and Identifications
Molecule Mass and Weight
Protein and Amino Acid
Nucleobase, Nucleoside, Nucleotide, DNA and RNA
►Gene and Chromosome
Protein Kinase (PK)
SDF (Structure Data File)
RDKit: Open-Source Cheminformatics Software
PyMol GUI and CLI
PyMol Editing Functions
PyMol Measurement Functions
PyMol Movie Functions
PyMol Python Integration
PyMol Object Functions
ChEMBL Database - European Molecular Biology Laboratory
PubChem Database - National Library of Medicine
PDB (Protein Data Bank)
INSDC (International Nucleotide Sequence Database Collaboration)
HGNC (HUGO Gene Nomenclature Committee)
Resources and Tools
Molecule Related Terminologies
Full Version in PDF/EPUB