JIMAGE - Java Image File Format
This section describes the Java image, JIMAGE, a special file format used to store class and resource files of multiple Java modules to support custom JRE.
What Is JIMAGE (Java Image)?
JIMAGE is a special file format used to store class and resource files of multiple Java modules
to support custom JRE.
One and only one JIMAGE file is used for each JRE to store all built-in Java modules.
The JIMAGE file is located at "%jre_home\lib\modules".
When you run the JRE's "%jre_home\bin\java" command, the JIMAGE will be available to
provide classes and resources for the running JVM.
The JIMAGE file format was introduced in JDK 9.
It has the following key features:
- A JIMAGE file does not use ZIP compression at the file level.
But each entry can be compressed using ZIP algorithm.
- A JIMAGE file is used to store class files and resource files of Java modules, like a JAR file.
- All files of a Java module are stored together as a unit in a JIMAGE file,
- Files in a JIMAGE file are indexed for fast access.
Here are some guidelines on how to use JIMAGE files:
- The JIMAGE file of the default JRE in the JDK installation is located
- When using "jlink" command to create a new JRE, a JIMAGE file will
be created in the "%jre_home%\bin\modules" location.
- When launching JVM with "%jre_home%\bin\java",
the JIMAGE file, "%jre_home%\bin\modules", will be available to provide
classes and resources.
- JIMAGE files can not used in "javac" command.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Java Tools Terminology
Java Tools Included in JDK
javac - The Java Program Compiler
jar - The JAR File Tool
jlink - The JRE Linker
jmod - The JMOD File Tool
►jimage - The JIMAGE File Tool
►JIMAGE - Java Image File Format
jimage - JIMAGE File Tool Command
"jimage info|list" - Listing JIMAGE Entries
"jimage extract" - Extracting JIMAGE File Entries
Java File Types and Related Tools
jpackage - Binary Package Builder
java - The Java Program Launcher
jdeps - The Java Class Dependency Analyzer
jdeprscan - The Java Deprecated API Scanner
jdb - The Java Debugger
jcmd - The JVM Diagnostic Tool
jconsole - Java Monitoring and Management Console
jstat - JVM Statistics Monitoring Tool
JVM Troubleshooting Tools
jhsdb - The Java HotSpot Debugger
jvisualvm (Java VisualVM) - JVM Visual Tool
jmc - Java Mission Control
javap - The Java Class File Disassembler
keytool - Public Key Certificate Tool
jarsigner - JAR File Signer
jshell - Java Language Shell
jrunscript - Script Code Shell
serialver - serialVersionUID Generator
native2ascii - Native-to-ASCII Encoding Converter
Full Version in PDF/EPUB