Android Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - v3.03, by Herong Yang
Android Emulator Built-in Web Browser
This section provides a tutorial example on how to use the Android emulator's built-in Web browser to visit a web page. You need disable the cable LAN driver, if you are using Wi-Fi.
To the test emulator, let's use its browser to visit my home page.
1. Launch the Android emulator and unlock the screen.
2. Click the Browser icon and enter "herongyang.com" using the key pad on the screen.
3. Click the enter key. After some time, the browser returns an error message: "Webpage not available - The webpage at http://herongyang.com/ could not be loaded because: net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED"
What's wrong with the emulator? Searching the Internet, I found a post on stackoverflow by Vaughn (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2039964/how-to-connect -android-emulator-to-the-internet), which suggests to disable the network cable port, if you are using a Wi-Fi connection. Because the emulator is trying to obtain DNS service from the cable port.
4. On Windows 7 system, go to "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections"
5. Right-click on "Local Area Network", and then click "Disable".
6. Restart the emulator, try the browser again with http://herongyang.com/. Cool, the browser works!
As you can see, my home page is not responsive enough to fit in the 4 inch screen of the emulator. I still need to improve it.
Table of Contents