Publishing Books Using XML Technologies
∟Generating PDF Documents with hyPub
∟PDF Document Generation with hyPub Perl Programs
This section describes how a Perl program is used to control the PDF documents generation process
Introduction to Perl
Perl is the most flexible scripting language that you can use for managing text files and executing other programs.
If you want to try it, follow these steps:
1. Download ActivePerl from http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/.
2. Install it by following the installation instructions.
3. Try the hello.pl program:
print "Hello world!\n";
3. Try the dir.pl program with executes another program through the system function:
pdf.pl - A Perl Program to Generate PDF Documents
In order to perform the steps described in the previous section, I wrote a Perl program called pdf.pl.
You can run pdf.pl with 3 command options:
1. "pdf.pl compile" - It does the following steps to generate Web page files:
2. "pdf.pl link" - It works on all XML files to evaluate variables and build hyper links.
3. "pdf.pl finish" - It does the following final steps:
Table of Contents
About This Book
Ideas on Publishing Books using XML
Overview of hyPub - A Simple XML Publishing Tool
Writing Book Contents in XHTML Source Files
Transforming Book Source Files with XSL Technology
Designing Web Page Layouts with Tables
Controlling Web Page Appearance with CSS
Generating Web Pages with hyPub
Formatting Printable Documents with XSL-FO
►Generating PDF Documents with hyPub
Requirements on PDF Version
PDF Documents Generation Steps
►PDF Document Generation with hyPub Perl Programs
hyPub Sample PDF Documents and Source Code
Areas of Future Improvements
PDF Printing Version