Windows Security Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 3.00, by Dr. Herong Yang
Windows 8: Remove Startup Programs
This section provides a tutorial example on how to review all startup programs that have configured to run at the startup time on a Windows 8 system and uninstall any unwanted startup programs.
Another area you need to check is the list of programs that are configured to run at the startup time. You should remove any startup programs that are not needed.
1. Type in and run "task manager" in the "Search > Apps" input field. You will see the "Task Manager" screen.
2. Click on the "Startup" tab. You see a list of all programs that are enabled to run at the system startup time. If you see any program name that you are not familiar with, then it is a possible spyware, adware or some program that you never need it. Search Internet to confirm that program is not related Windows system or any hardware functions. If confirmed, you should consider to disable that program.
For example, on my Windows 8 system, I saw "Java Update Scheduler" currently configured to run at the system startup time. But I don't it at the system startup time. So I will disable it.
3. Select "Java Update Scheduler" and click the "Disable" button.
4. Continue to review all startup programs.
5. Restart the computer. All disabled programs will not be executed at startup time anymore.
The picture below shows you the list of all running processes on a Windows 8 system:
Last update: 2013.
Table of Contents