Windows Security Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 3.00, by Dr. Herong Yang
Windows 8: Full Scan with Windows Defender
This section provides a tutorial example on how to perform a full scan manually and review scan results with Windows Defender on Windows 8 systems.
It seems that Windows Defender does not support automated scheduled scanning. So you should perform scan yourself manually.
1. Type in and run "Window Defender" in the "Search > Apps" input field.
2. Click the "Home" tab and click the "Scan now" button for a quick scan. Windows defender will perform a quick scan on your hard disk for any unwanted items.
Scan completed on 95774 items No threads were detected on your PC during this scan
3. Select "Full" and click "Scan now" on the right side. Windows defender will perform a full scan this time. It will take much longer this time. When the scan is done, you will a scan report:
Scan completed on 1331404 items This app detected a potential threat on your PC
4. Click "Scan details" near the bottom. You will see the "Potential threat details" message box with:
This app detected a potential threat that might compromise your privacy or damage your PC. Your access to this item might be suspended until you take action. Detected items Alert level Status Recommended action Trojan:Win32/Mywife.E!CME24 Severe Active Remove
5. Do some research on Internet to understand what is "Win32/Mywife.E!CME24". Then click "Clear PC" to remove infected items.
Don't click "Clear PC" before reviewing threat details.
The picture below shows you Windows Defender settings on a Windows 8 system:
Last update: 2013.
Table of Contents