Windows Security Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 3.00, by Dr. Herong Yang
Windows 8: Customizing Windows Defender Settings
This section provides a tutorial example on how to review and customize Windows Defender settings on Windows 8 systems.
After turning on Windows Defender, you should continue to review and customize its settings.
1. Type in and run "Window Defender" in the "Search > Apps" input field.
2. Click the "Settings" tab and click "Real-time protection" on the left side. You will see the real-time protection setting.
[x] Turn on real-time protection (recommended) Real-time protection alerts you whenever malicious or potentional unwanted software attempts to install itself or run on your PC.
3. Click "Advanced" on the left side and turn all settings:
[x] Scan archive files Include any archive files, such as .zip ro .cab files. [x] Scan removable drives Include removable drives, such as USB flash drive, when running a full scan. [x] Create a system restore point Create a system restore point before removing, running, or quarantining detected items. ...
4. Click "Administrator" on the left side. You will the turn on or off switch:
[x] Turn on this app When this check box is checked, this app will alert all users if spyware or other potentially unwanted software attempts to run or install itself on this PC.
5. Click the "Save changes" button to save changes.
The picture below shows you Windows Defender settings on a Windows 8 system:
Last update: 2013.
Table of Contents