Perl Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 5.40, by Dr. Herong Yang
Running Perl Scripts in "htdocs"
This section describes how to change Apache HTTP server configuration and run Perl CGI (Common Gateway Interface) scripts in the default DocumentRoot directory: \local\apache\htdocs.
With Apache default configuration, Perl CGI scripts can only be executed in the CGI (./cgi-bin) folder. If you want to run Perl CGI scripts in the HTML documents (./htdocs) folder, you need make some configuration changes as described below:
1. Open the Apache configuration file, \local\apache\conf\httpd.conf, in a text editor.
2. Add "ExecCGI" option to the HTML documents (./htdocs) folder setting:
... <Directory "C:/local/apache/htdocs"> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI ... </Directory> ...
3. Add ".pl" option to the "cgi-script" handler setting:
... AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl ...
4. Restart Apache HTTP Server.
5. Copy "hello_CGI.pl" to the c:\local\apache\htdocs, and try http://localhost/hello_CGI.pl with a Web browser. You should see "Hello world!" printed out.
Last update: 2014.
Table of Contents