Android Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 3.02, by Dr. Herong Yang
Downloading and Installing from "Play Store"
This section provides a tutorial example on how to download and install applications from Google's 'Play Store'. Read permissions requested by the application carefully before using the application.
Downloading and installing Android application is easy. Here is what you need to do to install the Tetris game.
1. Make sure you have done the Gmail account set up as presented in the previous tutorial.
2. Tap on "Applications", then "Play Store". Go to the "Apps" section.
3. Tap the Search icon to search for "Tetris". Then tap on "TETRIS free" in the search result. You will see "TETRIS free" installation screen.
4. Tap on the "Install" button. You will see the list permissions requested by this application:
PERMISSIONS Storage - Modify/delete SD card content Phone calls - Read phone state and identity Network communication - Allows the application to accept cloud to device messages from application's service, full Internet access System tools - Change network connectivity, prevent phone from sleeping Network communication - View Wi-Fi state, view network state Hardware controls - Control vibrator
5. Tap on "Accept & download". You will see the download progress bar displayed.
6. The system will install automatically after download is completed.
Before playing the game, you should look at those permissions again. I don't understand why a "Tetris" game needs to have this permission: "Phone calls - Read phone state and identity"
Last update: 2011.
Table of Contents