Bits, Bytes, Bitwise and Shift Operations
This chapter provides tutorial notes and tutorial examples on bits, bytes and bitwise operations. Topics include bits and bytes as storage units; 'byte' data type and (byte) casting; bitwise operations; shift operations.
What Are Bits and Bytes
"byte" Data Type and Implicit Casting
Operations on "byte" Data Type Values
Bitwise Operations on "byte" Values
Bitwise Operations on "byte" Values - Example Program
Shift Operations - Left, Right or Unsigned Right
- Bit is the smallest storage unit that can only store two possible values: 0 and 1.
- Byte is a storage unit that holds 8 bits.
- "byte" is a primitive data type in Java. A "byte" variable can hold an integer in the range of -128 to 127.
- To assign values to "byte" variables, you need to cast original values to "byte" data type implicitly
or explicitly (using "(byte)").
- "byte" variables can participate any arithmetic and comparison operations. But their values will be converted
to "int" data type before the operation.
- Bitwise operations are defined for "int" data type, not for "byte".
- Shift operations are defined for "int" data type, not for "byte".
Table of Contents
About This Book
JDK - Java Development Kit
Execution Process, Entry Point, Input and Output
Primitive Data Types and Literals
Control Flow Statements
►Bits, Bytes, Bitwise and Shift Operations
Managing Bit Strings in Byte Arrays
Reference Data Types and Variables
Enum Types and Enum Constants
StringBuffer - The String Buffer Class
System Properties and Runtime Object Methods
Generic Classes and Parameterized Types
Generic Methods and Type Inference
Lambda Expressions and Method References
Java Modules - Java Package Aggregation
Execution Threads and Multi-Threading Java Programs
ThreadGroup Class and "system" ThreadGroup Tree
Synchronization Technique and Synchronized Code Blocks
Deadlock Condition Example Programs
Garbage Collection and the gc() Method
Assert Statements and -ea" Option
Annotation Statements and Declarations
Java Related Terminologies
Full Version in PDF/EPUB