Blowfish Cipher Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - v2.03, by Herong Yang
Installing OpenSSL for Windows
A tutorial example is provided on how to download and install the binary version of OpenSSL 0.9.8h on Windows. Installing the source version of OpenSSL requires compilation of C code.
If you want to use OpenSSL to perform Blowfish encryption, you need to download and install it on your local system.
OpenSSL is officially distributed in C source code format. This is not a problem for Unix systems where C compiler is always available. But if you have a Windows system, you will have a hard time to install OpenSSL in C source code format. What you should do is to find a pre-compiled binary version for Windows. Here is how I installed OpenSSL on my Windows system:
1. Go to http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/openssl.htm, and download the "Setup" version of "Complete package, except sources", openssl-0.9.8h-1-setup.exe.
2. Double-click on openssl-0.9.8h-1-setup.exe to install OpenSSL to \local\gnuwin32 directory.
3. Go back to the same page, download the "ZIP" version of "Documentation", openssl-0.9.8h-1-doc.zip.
4. Unzip openssl-0.9.8h-1-doc.zip to \local\gnuwin32 directory.
5. Open command line window, and try the following command:
C:\herong>\local\gnuwin32\bin\openssl version OpenSSL 0.9.8h 28 May 2008 C:\herong>\local\gnuwin32\bin\openssl help openssl:Error: '-help' is an invalid command. Standard commands asn1parse ca ciphers crl crl2pkcs7 dgst dh dhparam dsa dsaparam enc engine errstr gendh gendsa genrsa nseq ocsp passwd pkcs12 pkcs7 pkcs8 rand req rsa rsautl s_client s_server s_time sess_id smime speed spkac verify version x509 ......
If you see the list of commands printed by OpenSSL, you know that your installation is done correctly.
Note that the pre-compiled binary version for Windows is OpenSSL 0.9.8h, which is older than the source version OpenSSL 1.0.2e. OpenSSL 0.9.8h version is good enough for you to use its Blowfish functionalities.
Table of Contents