Windows Security Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 3.00, by Dr. Herong Yang
On-Demand Scanning of Spyware Infections
This section provides a tutorial example on how to scan a Windows system for spyware problems with Spybot - Search and Destroy.
One of the main features of Spybot - Search & Destroy is to scan the Windows system for any spyware infections. Here what I did to try this feature:
1. Run Spybot - Search & Destroy.
2. Click on the "Check for problems" button. Spybot starts scanning the system for any spyware infections.
3. Click to "No" when it prompts for confirmation to remove temporary files. I wanted to keep temporary files for myself to review and remove.
3. Wait for a few minutes or longer until the scan is complete. The scanning report shows up on the screen. I was surprised to see so many tracking cookies on my Windows system. Here are some examples:
AdRevolver: Tracking cookie Advertising.com: Tracking cookie Avenue A, Inc.: Tracking cookie BursMedia: Tracking cookie CasaMedia: Tracking cookie CN.wAQdN188: Tracking cookie CoreMetrics: Tracking cookie DoubleClick: Tracking cookie FastClick: Tracking cookie HitBox: Tracking cookie MediaPlex: Tracking cookie MyWay.MySearch: Global settings Right Media: Tracking cookie Statcounter: Tracking cookie TagASaurus: Tracking cookie Tradedouble: Tracking cookie Tradedoubler: Tracking cookie WebTrends live: Tracking cookie Zedo: Tracking cookie
4. Spybot Spybot - Search & Destroy offers a button "Fix selected problems" to remove those tracking cookies. But don't use it until you have reviewed all reported problems first. See next tutorials for more information.
The following picture shows the progress status of "Check for problems" in Spybot - Search & Destroy:
Last update: 2013.
Table of Contents