PKI Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 2.10, by Dr. Herong Yang
OutDated: Creating a Digital ID and Sign Word Documents
This section provides a tutorial example on how to create a your own digital ID and use it to add a digital signature to a MS Word 2007 document.
Now let's use John Smith as an example to experiment MS Word 2007's digital signature function.
When John finishes writing a document, he wants to add a digital signature to the document.
1. John clicks "Office > Prepare > Add a Digital Signature". A message box shows up:
Microsoft Office digital signatures combine the familarity of a paper signing experience with the convenience of a digital format. While this feature provides users with the ability to verify a document's integrity, evidentiary laws may vary by jurisdiction. Microsoft thus cannot warrant a digital signature's legal enforceability. The third- party digital signature service providers available from the Office marketplace may offer other levels of digital signature assurance.
2. John clicks "OK" button on the message box. The "Get a Digital ID" dialog box shows up.
In order to sign a Microsoft Office document, you need a digital ID. You have two options for getting a digital ID: ( ) Get a digital ID from a Microsoft partner - If you use a digital ID from a Microsoft partner, other people will be able to verify the authenticity of your signature. (x) Create your own digital ID - If you create your own digital ID, other people will not be able to verify the authenticity of your signature. You will be able to verify the authenticity of your signature, but only on this computer.
3. John selects the "Create your own digital ID" option and clicks "OK" button. The "Create a Digital ID" dialog box shows up as shown below:
4. Enter John's information and click the "Create" button. A new digital ID is created for John and the "Sign" dialog box shows up.
5. Click "Sign" button. A digital signature is added to the document. A special icon shows up in the Word status bar:
Done. John now has his Word document signed with his digital signature.
Last update: 2011.
Table of Contents