MySQL Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 4.20, by Dr. Herong Yang
Outdated: Installing MySQL 5.0.2 (Alpha)
A tutorial example is provided on how to install MySQL 5.0.2 (Alpha) on a Windows system.
1. Go to http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html.
2. Go to "Windows downloads" and select "Without installer (unzip in C:\)" entry.
3. Save the downloaded file, mysql-5.0.2-alpha-win.zip, on your hard disk.
4. Unzip mysql-5.0.2-alpha-win.zip to "\mysql" directory, and double click on "\mysql\setup.exe" to start the installation process.
5. Select the customized installation option, and change the installation target directory to \mysql. Then continue the installation as instructed on the installation window.
6. When asked to configure the database server, select the standard configuration, and uncheck the "Install As Windows Service" checkbox. Then finish the configuration as instructed.
7. Open a command window and run "\mysql\bin\mysqld" to start MySQL server:
\mysql\bin\mysqld --console nnnnnn 22:25:21 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 43634 \mysql\bin\mysqld: ready for connections. Version: '5.0.2-alpha' socket: '' port: 3306 Source distribution
8. Open another command window and run "\mysql\bin\mysqladmin" to administrate MySQL server:
\mysql\bin\mysqladmin ping mysqld is alive \mysql\bin\mysqladmin shutdown
If you see the MySQL server printing notice and shutting down in the first command window, you know that you have installed MySQL 5.0 correctly.
Table of Contents