What Is DVD?
This section provides a quick summary about DVD (Digital Video Disc).
DVD (Digital Versatile Disc or Digital Video Disc) is the next generation
of optical disc storage media format. A DVD has the same physical dimensions
as a normal CD. But a DVD can store more than 6 times of data comparing to a normal CD.
DVDs are produced in two physical sizes: 120 mm, 12 cm or 4.72 inches
and 80 mm, 8cm or 3.15 inches.
Digital data may be recorded on a DVD in 4 different ways resulting different capacities:
- DVD-5: Single sided and single layer (SL) on a 12 cm disc stores 4.7 GB of data.
- DVD-9: Single sided and dual layer (DL) on a 12 cm disc stores 8.5 GB of data.
- DVD-10: double sided and single layer (SL) on a 12 cm disc stores 9.4 GB of data.
- DVD-18: double sided and dual layer (DL) on a 12 cm disc stores 17.1 GB of data.
DVD can be used to store data, audio, or video data with different
file directory structures. But they all share the same common formatting characteristics:
- A single track of raw data with block size of 2048 bytes.
- An ISO file system is located at the beginning of the track.
One popular type of DVD is called DVD-Video, which is to store high quality video data, movies.
See next section for details.
Another type of DVD is called DVD-Audio, which is to store high quality audio data, music and songs.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Audio CD (Compact Disc Digital Audio or CD-DA) Format
Audio CD (Compact Disc Digital Audio or CD-DA) Players
Audio CD (Compact Disc Digital Audio or CD-DA) Rip Music
WAV Audio File Format
MP3, MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3, Encoding Format
Burning MP3 Music to Audio CD
Windows Sound Recorder
ISO 9660 Standard for Data CD
Recording Data on CD
VCD (Video CD) Standard
►DVD (Digital Video Disc) Standard Format
►What Is DVD?
What Is DVD-Video?
DVD Video (Movie) File Directory Structure
"Big Fish" - Movie DVD File Directory
Playing Movie DVD with Windows Media Player
Copying VOB Files - Copy Protection Error
TOC (Table Of Contents) on CDs
IsoBuster - A Nice CD GUI Tool
MPlayer - The Movie Player
vStrip - Rip and Manipulate DVD VOB Files
mpgtx - Manipulating MPEG Files
CD/DVD - File Name Extension and Format Types
PDF Printing Version