"TextStream" Objects Representing File Input and Output
This section describes TextStream object and its properties and methods. A tutorial example is provided on how to open a new file, write some text lines, and read them back.
TextStream: An object representing an input or output stream connected to a file.
It offers the following properties and methods:
- "AtEndOfLine": Property to return true if the current reading position is before
the end of a line.
- "AtEndOfStream": Property to return true if the current reading position is before
the end of the file.
- "Column": Property to return the column number of the current position.
- "Line": Property to return the line number of the current position.
- "Read(n)": Method to return a string of characters up to the specified number.
- "ReadAll()": Method to return a string of the rest characters in the stream.
- "ReadLine()": Method to return a string of the rest characters in the linie.
Here is a VBScript example to show you how to create and open a text file.
- Copyright (c) HerongYang.com. All Rights Reserved.
' Getting the FileSystemObject
set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
' Creating a new file for writing
set out = fs.CreateTextFile("c:\temp\test.txt",true,false)
' Open an existing file for reading
set inn = fs.OpenTextFile("c:\temp\test.txt",1)
while inn.AtEndOfStream = false
line = inn.ReadLine()
When you load this example into IE, you will get a security warning.
You can ignore it and get the output:
Tests on TextStream class:
- If you look at the directory c:\temp, you will see a new file "test.txt".
- "in" seems to be a reserved word. So I used "inn" as a variable name.
- "wend" ends the "while" statement. I really don't know why the designers can
not use "end while".
Table of Contents
About This Book
Introduction of VBScript - Visual Basic Scripting Edition
Variant Data Type, Subtypes, and Literals
Numeric Comparison Operations and Logical Operations
String Operations - Concatenation and Comparison
Variable Declaration and Assignment Statement
Expression and Order of Operation Precedence
Statement Syntax and Statement Types
Array Data Type and Related Statements
Array References and Array Assignment Statements
Conditional Statements - "If ... Then" and "Select Case"
Loop Statements - "For", "While", and "Do"
"Function" and "Sub" Procedures
Inspecting Variables Received in Procedures
Error Handling Flag and the "Err" Object
Regular Expression Pattern Match and Replacement
►scrrun.dll - Scripting Runtime DLL Library
Scripting Runtime DLL Library Overview
"Dictionary" Objects to Store Keys and Values
"FileSystemObject" Objects to Manage File Systems
"Drive" Objects Representing Disk Drives
"Folder" Objects Representing File Folders
"File" Objects Representing Files
►"TextStream" Objects Representing File Input and Output
Creating Your Own Classes
IE Web Browser Supporting VBScript
IIS ASP Server Supporting VBScript
WSH (Windows Script Host)
Full Version in PDF/EPUB