PKI Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - v2.20, by Dr. Herong Yang
Installig CAcert.org Root CA in IE
This section provides a tutorial example on how to install CAcert.org root CA certificate in IE 8. Note that CAcert.org CA certificate is not pre-installed in IE 8
Now I want to install CAcert.org root CA certificate in IE (Internet Explorer) 8:
1. Run IE 8 and visit https://support.ntp.org. The "There is a problem with this Website's security certificate" error page shows up. This confirms that CAcert.org's certificate is not a trusted root CA certificate in IE 8, because fsfe.org's certificate is issued by CAcert.org.
2. Now visit http://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3. CAcert.org certificates page shows up.
3. Click "Root Certificate (PEM Format)" link. The File Download dialog box shows up.
4. Click "Open" button. The Certificate dialog box shows up.
5. Check "Install Certificate" button. Certificate Import Wizard shows up.
6. Click "Next" button and select "Place all certificates in the following store - Trusted Root Certification Authorities".
7. Click "Next" button and "Finish" button. The Security Warning message box shows up.
8. Click "Yes" button. CAcert.org's root certificate is installed in IE 8 now.
9. Close IE 8 and run it again to visit https://support.ntp.org. "The NTP Public Services Project" page shows up properly now.
10. View the server certificate path. See other IE 8 tutorials in this book for detailed steps. You will see:
CA Cert Signing Authority - The root CA certificate |- support.ntp.org - The server certificate
Table of Contents