Windows Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - v5.62, by Dr. Herong Yang
Saving Images in BMP (Windows Bitmap) Format
This section provides a tutorial example on how to save an image in BMP (Windows Bitmap) format with 24-bit colors.
To compare JPEG image file format with other formats, I want to save the same images in BMP (Windows Bitmap) format:
1. Click menu File > Open. The "Open Image" dialog box shows up.
2. Browse and select the GIMP-Red-Gradient-Spiral.xcf file mentioned in the previous section. The red gradient spiral image shows up.
3. Click menu File > Save As. The "Save Image" dialog box shows up.
4. Enter Name: GIMP_Red_Gradient_Spiral.bmp. Open the "Select File Type" list near the bottom of the dialog box and select the "Windows BMP image" option.
5. Click Save on the "Save Image" dialog box. The "Save as BMP" dialog box shows up.
6. Open the "Advanced Options" list. Make sure that the "24 bits (R8 G8 B8)" option is selected.
Table of Contents