Setting Up FTP Server with IIS
This section provides a tutorial example of how to set up a FTP server with IIS (Internet Information Server).
FTP (File Transfer Protocol) - An Internet protocol that allows users to transfer files from and to remote computers.
If you have IIS (Internet Information Services) installed on your computer, you can set up your computer
as a FTP server. Here is how:
1. Run Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Internet Information Services.
2. Expand the "local computer" entry and the "FTP Sites" folder, you will see the "Default FTP Site" service.
3. Right mouse click on the "Default FTP Site", and select Properties. The properties dialog box shows up.
4. Click on all the tabs. You will see all the settings. Some of them are important to know:
- Port: 21
- Enable Logging: checked
- Log File Directory: C:\WINDOWS\System32\LogFiles
- Log File Name: msftpsvc1\exyymmdd.log
- Allow Anonymous Connections: checked
- FTP Site Directory Local Path: c:\inetpub\ftproot
5. Right mouse click on the "Default FTP Site", and select Start. Your FTP server should be running now.
6. Test your FTP server, run the commands in a command window:
Connected to localhost.
220 Microsoft FTP Service
User (localhost:(none)): anonymous
331 Anonymous access allowed, send identity (e-mail name) as password.
230 Anonymous user logged in.
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
226 Transfer complete.
Congratulations, you have created a working anonymous FTP server!
Table of Contents
About This Book
Introduction to Microsoft Windows
Introduction to Windows Explorer
Introduction to Internet Explorer
"Paint" Program and Computer Graphics
GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program
JPEG Image File Format Quality and Size
GIF Image File Format and Transparent Background
"WinZip" - ZIP File Compression Tool
"WinRAR" - RAR and ZIP File Compression Tool
►FTP Server, Client and Commands
►Setting Up FTP Server with IIS
FTP Command Line Client Program
Downloading Files with FTP Commands
Checking FTP Server Log File
Uploading Files to FTP Servers
"FileZilla" - Free FTP Client and Server
Web Server Log Files and Analysis Tool - "Analog"
Spyware Adware Detection and Removal
IE Addon Program Listing and Removal
Vundo (VirtuMonde/VirtuMundo) - vtsts.dll Removal
Trojan and Malware "Puper" Description and Removal
VSToolbar (VSAdd-in.dll) - Description and Removal
Spybot - Spyware Blocker, Detection and Removal
Setting Up and Using Crossover Cable Network
Home Network Gateway - DSL Modem/Wireless Router
Windows Task Manager - The System Performance Tool
"tasklist" Command Line Tool to List Process Information
"msconfig" - System Configuration Tool
Configuring and Managing System Services
Windows Registry Key and Value Management Tools
Startup Programs Removal for Better System Performance
Winsock - Windows Sockets API
Java on Windows
Glossary of Terms
Full Version in PDF/ePUB