UML Activity Diagram and Notations
This chapter provides tutorial notes and examples on UML activity diagram and notations. Topics include introduction to UML activity diagram; graphical notations to describe actions, control flows, decisions, merges, forks, joins, starts, finals, objects, etc.
What Is an Activity Diagram?
Activity Diagram - Action Notation
Activity Diagram - Control Flow Notation
Activity Diagram - Start and Final Notations
Activity Diagram - Decision Notation
Activity Diagram - Merge Notation
Activity Diagram - Fork Notation
Activity Diagram - Join Notation
Activity Diagram - Object Notation
Activity Diagram - Send Signal Notation
Activity Diagram - Accept Event Notation
Activity Diagram - Partition (Swimlane) Notation
Activity Diagram - Frame Notation and Parameters
- A UML Activity Diagram is a diagram that describes internal behaviors of a single activity by showing
execution sequences of actions that are needed to complete the activity.
- Action Notation and Flow Control Notation are two basic types of elements in an Activity Diagram
to describe execution flows of actions.
- Start Notation and Final Control Notation are used to describe the starting point and the ending point of action execution flow.
- Decision Notation and Merge Control Notation are used to describe the seperation point and the merge point of multiple alternate action execution flow.
- Fork Notation and Join Control Notation are used to describe the spiting point and the waiting point of multiple concurrent action execution flow.
- Object Notation is used to describe an object generated from one action and consumed by the next action in the execution flow.
- Send Signal Notation and Accept Event Notation are used to describe actions to send a signal to the outside
and wait for an event from the outside of an activity.
- Partition Notation is used to describe a group of actions that share something in common.
- Activity Frame Notation is used to describe the boundary of an activity.
Table of Contents
About This UML Tutorial Book
Introduction of UML (Unified Model Language)
UML Class Diagram and Notations
►UML Activity Diagram and Notations
UML Sequence Diagram and Notations
UML State Machine Diagram and Notations
UML Use Case Diagram and Notations
MS Visio 2010 - UML Drawing Tool
PDF Printing Version