JIS X0208 Character Set and Encodings
This chapter provides notes and tutorial examples on JIS X0208 character set and encodings. Topics including introduction of the JIS X0208 character set; EUC-JP, ISO-2022-JP and Shift-JIS encodings.
JIS X0208 Character Set for Japanese Characters
JIS X0208 Character Code Values
- JIS X0208 is a character set for Japanese characters.
- JIS X0208 arranges characters into a matrix of 94 rows and 94 columns.
- The code value of a JIS X0208 character is a 2-byte value: the high byte is the row number plus 32 and
low byte is the column number plus 32.
- EUC-JP is an encoding that maps a JIS X0208 character to a 2-byte sequence by adding 128 to each byte
of the byte pair of the character's code value.
- ISO-2022-JP is an encoding that maps a JIS X0208 character to a 2-byte sequence by taking both bytes
directly from the character's code value. Escape sequences are used to mix ASCII characters with JIS X0208 characters.
- Shift-JIS is an encoding developed by Microsoft for JIS X0208 characters.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Character Sets and Encodings
ASCII Character Set and Encoding
GB2312 Character Set and Encoding
GB18030 Character Set and Encoding
►JIS X0208 Character Set and Encodings
Unicode Character Set
UTF-8 (Unicode Transformation Format - 8-Bit)
UTF-16, UTF-16BE and UTF-16LE Encodings
UTF-32, UTF-32BE and UTF-32LE Encodings
Java Language and Unicode Characters
Character Encoding in Java
Character Set Encoding Maps
Encoding Conversion Programs for Encoded Text Files
Using Notepad as a Unicode Text Editor
Using Microsoft Word as a Unicode Text Editor
Using Microsoft Excel as a Unicode Text Editor
Unicode Code Point Blocks: 0000 - 0FFF
Unicode Code Point Blocks: 1000 - FFFF
Unicode Code Point Blocks: 10000 - 11FFF
Unicode Code Point Blocks: 12000 - 10FFFF
Full Version in PDF/EPUB