jvisualvm (Java VisualVM) - JVM Visual Tool
This chapter provides tutorial notes on the JVM visual tool, Java VisualVM. Topics include launching Java VisualVM, connecting to local JVM processes; monitoring CPU and heap usage; monitoring thread statuses; taking thread dumps and heap dumps; viewing heap dump and object contents; connecting to remote JVM with jstatd or JMX; installing Visual GC.
These sections are omitted from this Web preview version. To view the full content,
see information on how to obtain the full version this book.
What Is jvisualvm (Java VisualVM)?
jvisualvm Command to Open Dump Files or Connections
Connecting Java VisualVM to a Local JVM Process
Monitoring Usages of CPU, Heap, Classes and Threads
Monitoring Thread Status as Timeline
Taking Thread Dump to See Thread Stack Traces
Taking Heap Dump to See Memory Usages
Viewing a Heap Dump File
Connecting to Remote JVM Processes
Available Plugins and Installation
Installing Visual GC Plugin
- Java VisualVM is a nice and free tool to monitor or troubleshoot a JVM process.
- Connecting to JVM processes on the local machine is easy and straightforward.
- Connecting to JVM processes on a remote machine requires a jstatd or JMX agent setup.
- Java VisualVM can be used to take and view thread dump to find out what's going with thread execution.
- Java VisualVM can be used to take and view heap dump to find out what's going with object memory usage.
- Visual GC plugin allows you to monitor GC activities.
- Java VisualVM needs to be downloaded separately, if you are using JDK 9 or newer.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Java Tools Terminology
Java Tools Included in JDK
javac - The Java Program Compiler
java - The Java Program Launcher
jar - The JAR File Tool
jlink - The JRE Linker
jmod - The JMOD File Tool
jimage - The JIMAGE File Tool
jpackage - Binary Package Builder
javadoc - The Java Document Generator
jdeps - The Java Class Dependency Analyzer
jdeprscan - The Java Deprecated API Scanner
jdb - The Java Debugger
jcmd - The JVM Diagnostic Tool
jconsole - Java Monitoring and Management Console
jstat - JVM Statistics Monitoring Tool
JVM Troubleshooting Tools
jhsdb - The Java HotSpot Debugger
►jvisualvm (Java VisualVM) - JVM Visual Tool
jmc - Java Mission Control
javap - The Java Class File Disassembler
keytool - Public Key Certificate Tool
jarsigner - JAR File Signer
jshell - Java Language Shell
jrunscript - Script Code Shell
native2ascii - Native-to-ASCII Encoding Converter
JAB (Java Access Bridge) for Windows
Full Version in PDF/EPUB