Including VBScript Codes with HTML "script" Tags
This section provides a quick description of how to include VBScript codes into HTML documents with 'script' tags. A tutorial example is provided on calling a function defined in the 'head' tag.
If you want have VBScript code to be executed by IE browser on the client systems,
you need to embed VBScript code in HTML documents to be delivered to IE browser.
HTML document language standard supports the "script" tag that allows you to include
VBScript code in HTML documents. Both forms of the "script" tag work identically:
<script language="vbscript" ...>
... VBScript statements ...
<script type="text/vbscript" ...>
... VBScript statements ...
In a single HTML document, multiple "script" tags with VBScript codes can be placed in different locations.
The exact locations and relations of "script" tags are described in following simple rules:
- "script" tags can be placed inside the "head" tag.
- "script" tags can be placed inside many block-level tags, like "body", "p", "pre", "div", etc.
- "script" tags can be placed inside many level-level tags, like "strong", "em", "span", etc.
- VBScript codes included in "script" tags in the "head" tag will be executed before the Web page body gets processed.
- VBScript codes included in "script" tags in the block-level and line-level tags will be executed while the Web page body
- VBScript codes included in "script" tags will be executed in the same order as they appear in the HTML document.
- VBScript codes from all "script" tags will be considered as a single execution session, as if they were
included in a single "script" tag.
Based these rules, we could define a user function in the "head" tag of the document,
and call it later in a "pre" tag in the same document. Here is a simple tutorial example
that shows this interesting behavior:
- Copyright (c) 2015, HerongYang.com, All Rights Reserved.
<title>printHello() Function in the "head" Tag</title>
Of course, the output of this sample VBScript page will be a simple text on the page: "Hello World!".
Table of Contents
About This Book
Introduction of VBScript - Visual Basic Scripting Edition
Variant Data Type, Subtypes, and Literals
Numeric Comparison Operations and Logical Operations
String Operations - Concatenation and Comparison
Variable Declaration and Assignment Statement
Expression and Order of Operation Precedence
Statement Syntax and Statement Types
Array Data Type and Related Statements
Array References and Array Assignment Statements
Conditional Statements - "If ... Then" and "Select Case"
Loop Statements - "For", "While", and "Do"
"Function" and "Sub" Procedures
Inspecting Variables Received in Procedures
Error Handling Flag and the "Err" Object
Regular Expression Pattern Match and Replacement
scrrun.dll - Scripting Runtime DLL Library
Creating Your Own Classes
►IE Web Browser Supporting VBScript
VBScript Support in IE Web Browsers
►Including VBScript Codes with HTML "script" Tags
Including VBScript Codes as External Files
DOM API - The "document" Object
DOM API - The "window" Object
Event Listeners and Objects
'vbscript:' Pseudo-URL Addresses
IIS ASP Server Supporting VBScript
WSH (Windows Script Host)
PDF Printing Version