Building Chinese Web Sites Using PHP - Version 2.20, by Dr. Herong Yang
MySQL 8.0 Download, Installation and Start
This section provides a tutorial example on how to download, install and start MySQL 8.0 server on Windows systems.
MySQL is an open source database management system developed by MySQL AB, http://www.mysql.com. You can download a copy and install it on your local Windows system very easily. Here is what I did to download and install MySQL 8 Community Server on my Windows system:
1. Go to "Download MySQL Community Server" page at dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/.
2. Click "Download" button next to the "Windows (x86, 64-bit), ZIP Archive 8.0.13 192.3M" line.
3. Click "Login" button, if you already have Oracle account. Otherwise, click "Sign Up" to create one first.
4. Fill in the download survey form.
5. Click "Download Now" to start downloading.
6. Save the download file, mysql-8.0.13-winx64.zip, 201,641,671 bytes, to a temporary directory.
7. Unzip mysql-8.0.13-winx64.zip. You see all files are extracted to a sub-directory .\mysql-8.0.13-winx64.
8. Move and rename .\mysql-8.0.13-winx64 to \local\mysql.
9. Initialize the data directory by running the following command:
C:\herong> \local\mysql\bin\mysqld --initialize-insecure --console ... 0 [System] [MY-013169] [Server] \local\mysql\bin\mysqld (mysqld 8.0.13) initializing of server in progress as process 8568 ... 5 [Warning] [MY-010453] [Server] root@localhost is created with an empty password ! Please consider switching off the --initialize-insecure option. ... 0 [System] [MY-013170] [Server] \local\mysql\bin\mysqld (mysqld 8.0.13) initializing of server has completed
10. Run the "mysqld" program to start the MySQL server:
"mysqld" will run quietly without printing any message in you command window. So you will see nothing after entering the "mysqld" command. You should trust "mysqld" and believe that MySQL server is running ok on your local computer now.
Last update: 2019.
Table of Contents