This section describes how to download and install Java SE (JDK) 1.5.0 on a Windows XP system. Notes were taken in 2005.
1. Go to http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
2. Click the download button in "JDK 5.0 Update 9" section.
3. Go to the "Windows Platform - J2SE(TM) Development Kit 5.0 Update 9" section,
and click "Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language" to download
jdk-1_5_0_09-windows-i586-p.exe to a working directory on your hard disk.
This file is about 50 MB.
4. Double click on the downloaded file: jdk-1_5_0_09-windows-i586-p.exe in the
working directory in the File Explorer.
5. Follow the instruction on the installation window to finish the installation.
6. Open a command window to try the java command.
If you are getting the following output, your installation is ok:
>cd \Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_09\bin
java version "1.5.0_09"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_09-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_09-b03, mixed mode, sharing)