Cryptography Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - v5.40, by Dr. Herong Yang
Installing Certificate Permanently in IE
This section provides a tutorial example on how to install the certificate provided by an 'https' Web site in IE. The certificate can be installed into a certificate store automatically selected by IE.
Normally, when a browser visits a "https" Web server, it will get the certificate from the server and use it for one web session only. When you close the browser, the certificate will be removed from memory. It will not be stored on computer permanently.
However, if you want to keep a copy of the certificate on the computer, you can install it in steps shown below:
1. Run IE and go to https://login.yahoo.com and wait for the log in page to be loaded.
2. Click the lock icon at the end of the Web address field. A small pop up windows shows up.
3. Click the "View certificates" link on the pop up window. The Certificate dialog box shows up.
But the "Install Certificate" button is not supported any more! I cannot install this certificate into the certificate store on my local computer in IE 11. See the comparison between IE 11 and IE 7 below:
So are we losing a nice feature in IE 11? The answer is not really. This "Install Certificate" button is supported only in the "Administrator" mode now.
4. Ok. Close IE browser. Then right-click the IE icon and select "Run as administrator". Repeat all steps mentioned above and click the "Install Certificate" button. The Certificate Import Wizard starts.
5. Click the "Next" button. The Certificate Store step shows up with these fields:
Certificate stores are system areas where certificates are kept. Windows can automatically select a certificate store, or you can specify a location for (.) Automatically select the certificate store based on the type of certificate ( ) Place all certificates in the following store
6. Let's use the "Automatically select..." option and click the "Next" button. The confirmation step shows up.
7. Click the "Finish" button. The certificate will be installed into a certificate store somewhere on your computer. We will try to find it back in the next tutorial.
Table of Contents