Overview of RowSet Objects
This section provides overview information on RowSet interface and its implementations.
RowSet is a new concept introduced in the JDBC specification. A RowSet object is designed
to represent a container of tabular data from any data source.
A RowSet object may obtain data from a database server through a JDBC driver, it may also obtain data
from a spreadsheet, a flat file, or an XML document.
A RowSet object extends the ResultSet interface, so that it has ResultSet methods to retrieve column values
or update rows back to the data source.
A RowSet object is also a JavaBeans component. It is designed to combine functionalities of Connect, Statement and ResultSet objects
into a single object.
There 5 standard implementations of RowSet interface:
- JdbcRowSet - A connected RowSet that is always connected to a database through a JDBC driver.
- CachedRowSet - A disconnected RowSet that is not connected to the data source except when reading data from it or writing data to it.
- WebRowSet - A disconnected RowSet extended from CachedRowSet. It can write itself as an XML document and read it back.
- FilteredRowSet - A disconnected RowSet extended from WebRowSet. It can have filtering criteria to select data without using query statements.
- JoinRowSet - A disconnected RowSet extended from WebRowSet. It can perform query join functions.
Sun has developed reference implementations of all 5 types or RowSet objects. But they are not included in standard JDK packages. They are packaged
under com.sun.rowset. You need to down them separately. See the next tutorial for details.
Table of Contents
About This Book
JDBC (Java Database Connectivity) Introduction
JDK (Java SE) Installation
Oracle Express Edition Installation on Windows
Oracle JDBC Drivers
►Oracle - Reference Implementation of JdbcRowSet
►Overview of RowSet Objects
Installation of JdbcRowSet Reference Implementation
Connecting JdbcRowSet to Database Servers
Connecting JdbcRowSet with a Connection URL
Connecting JdbcRowSet with a Predefined Connection Object
Connecting JdbcRowSet with a Predefined ResultSet Object
Connecting JdbcRowSet with JNDI Directory Service
JdbcRowSet Query Statement with Parameters
Inserting Rows with JdbcRowSet Objects
Oracle - PreparedStatement
Oracle - JBDC CallableStatement
Oracle CLOB (Character Large Object) - TEXT
Oracle BLOB (Binary Large Object) - BLOB
Full Version in PDF/EPUB