Jyotisha - Indian or Hindu Astrology
This section describes what is Jyotisha - Indian or Hindu astrology.
Jyotisha is also called Vedic Astrology, because it is part of the oldest scriptural texts of Hinduism called Vedanga.
There are six disciplines in Vedanga:
- Shiksha: phonetics and phonology
- Chandas: meter
- Vyakarana: grammar
- Nirukta: etymology
- Jyotisha: astrology and astronomy
- Kalpa: ritual
Similar to Western Astrology, Jyotisha uses planets called "graha" in Sanskrit:
- "Surya" - The Sun, representing soul.
- "Chandra" - The Moon, representing mind.
- "Mangala" - The Mars, representing energetic action.
- "Budha" - The Mercury, representing communication.
- "Guru" - Jupiter, representing the great teacher.
- "Sukra" - The Venus, representing wealth, pleasure and reproduction.
- "Sanaiscarya" - The Saturn, representing career and health.
- "Rahu" - The ascending lunar node.
- "Ketu" - The descending Lunar node.
Jyotisha also uses 12 signs called "Rashi" in Sanskrit:
- Mesha - Aries
- Vrishabha - Taurus
- Mithuna - Gemini
- Karka - Cancer
- Simha - Leo
- Kanya - Virgo
- Tula - Libra
- Vrishchika - Scorpio
- Dhanus - Sagittarius
- Makara - Capricorn
- Kumbha - Aquarius
- Meena - Pisces
Jyotisha uses a horoscope chart different than the Western astrology, see the picture below:
Table of Contents
About This Book
►Quick Introduction to Astrology
What Is Astrology
►Jyotisha - Indian or Hindu Astrology
Basics of Astrology and Astronomy
Introduction to Western Zodiac Signs
Horoscope and Horoscopic Astrology
Horoscope and Planets
Chinese Astrology and Horoscope
Chinese Zodiac Animal Signs
PDF Printing Version