Block-Level Formatting Objects
This chapter provides tutorial notes and example codes on XSL-FO block-level formatting objects. Topics include introduction of 'block' and 'block-container' formatting objects; margin collapse between blocks; space-before/after overriding margin; block splitting for page break; nested blocks.
What Are Block-Level Formatting Objects?
What Is "block" Formatting Object?
"block" Formatting Object Examples
Margin Collapsed between Block Areas
space-before/space-after vs. Margin
Block Splitting for Page Break
"block" with Mixed Content
Controlling White Space Characters
What Is "block-container" Formatting Object?
- Block-level formatting objects are formatting objects that
generate block areas.
- "block" is the most commonly used block-level formatting objects.
- "block" content can be a mix of text, inline-level formatting objects and block formatting objects.
- Content of a "block" is first divided into sub blocks, which are then stacked
to generate the final block area.
- In a vertical stack of "block"s, the margin-top of one will be collapsed into
the margin-bottom of the previous block.
- space-before and space-after is a better than margin-top and margin-bottom
in a vertical stack of "block"s. They are ignored for the top edge and bottom edge of the stack.
- "block-container" is a block-level formatting object that wraps blocks
into a bigger block with additional attributes
to control its size, writing-mode, reference-orientation, etc.
Table of Contents
About This XSL-FO Tutorial Book
Introduction of XSL-FO
Apache™ FOP (Formatting Objects Processor)
RenderX XEP as an XSL-FO Tool
Introduction of Area Model
XSL-FO Document Basics and Examples
Page Layout Masters
►Block-Level Formatting Objects
Inline-Level Formatting Objects
Including Graphics in XSL-FO document
Table of Rows and Columns
List, Item, Label, and Body
Floating Blocks - "float" and "footnote"
Hyperlinks, Table of Contents and Indexes
Headers and Footers using "static-content"
Font Attributes and Font Families
Apache FOP Font Configurations
RenderX XEP Font Configurations
PDF Printing Version