What Is Layout?
This section describes AWT layout classes that can be used to layout components in a container. Commonly used layouts are BorderLayout, FlowLayout, BoxLayout, GridLayout, and GridBagLayout.
What Is Layout? A layout is a set of rules that defines how graphical components should be
positioned in a container.
There two ways to position a component is a container:
- Using a predefined layout and allowing the layout to decide where to position
the component. This is a soft way of positioning a component. If the container
changes its size, the component's position will be adjusted. But you may not able
to get precisely where you want to component to be.
- Specifying the position of the component using the container's coordinates.
This is a hard way of positioning a component. You can get precisely where you want
the component to be. But if the container changes its size, the component's
position will not be adjusted.
AWT offers a number of predefined layouts for you to use:
- java.awt.BorderLayout - Divides the container into five regions: east, south, west, north, and center and assigns one component for each region.
- java.awt.FlowLayout - Takes unlimited number of components and let them flow naturally horizontally first, then vertically.
- java.awt.BoxLayout - Takes unlimited number of components and let them flow horizontally or vertically in one direction.
- java.awt.GridLayout - Divides the container into rows and columns and assigns one component for each cell.
- java.awt.GridBagLayout - Divides the container into rows and columns and assigns one component for each cell with cell sizes not equal.
Last update: 2014.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Introduction of Java Swing Package
Graphics Environment of the Local System
JFrame - Main Frame Class
JLabel - Swing Label Class
JButton - Swing Button Class
JRadioButton - Swing Radio Button Class
JTextField - Swing Text Field Class
Menu Bar, Menus, Menu Items and Listeners
Creating Internal Frames inside the Main Frame
►Layout of Components in a Container
►What Is Layout?
java.awt.BorderLayout - Border Layout
java.awt.FlowLayout - Flow Layout
java.awt.BoxLayout - Box Layout
java.awt.GridLayout - Grid Layout
java.awt.GridBagLayout - Grid Bag Layout
LookAndFeel and UIManager
Option Dialog Boxes
JEditorPane - The Editor Pane Class
SwingWorker - The Background Task Worker
PDF Printing Version