PHP Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 4.17, by Dr. Herong Yang
Installing Apache HTTP Server 2.4.12 on Windows
This section describes how to install Apache 2.4.12 binary distribution on Windows systems.
After downloaded Apache HTTP Server 2.4.12, I continued to install it on my Windows system:
1. Unzip httpd-2.4.12-win32-VC11.zip. Move and rename sub folder .\Apache24 to be C:\local\apache.
2. Try to start the Apache server in a command window. I got the following error:
C:\>\local\apache\bin\httpd httpd: Syntax error on line 37 of C:/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf: ServerRoot must be a valid directory
3. To fix this error, open and edit the following line in C:\local\apache\conf\httpd.conf:
#ServerRoot "c:/Apache24" # original setting ServerRoot "c:/local/apache"
4. Terminate the httpd process in Task Manager and start the Apache server again. I got another error:
C:\>\local\apache\bin\httpd AH00526: Syntax error on line 242 of C:/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf: DocumentRoot must be a directory
5. Open and edit C:\local\apache\conf\httpd.conf again to fix the DocumentRoot configuration:
#DocumentRoot "c:/Apache24/htdocs" DocumentRoot "c:/local/apache/htdocs" #<Directory "c:/Apache24/htdocs"> <Directory "c:/local/apache/htdocs">
6. Terminate the httpd process and start the Apache server again. No errors reported this time.
7. Open a Web browser with http://localhost. You should see the Apache server default home page saying: "It works!".
Congratulations, the Apache Server is up and running now as a Web server serving HTTP requests at the default port 80. See the next tutorial on how to serve HTML static documents on Apache server.
Last update: 2015.
Table of Contents