MySQL Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - 4.40, by Dr. Herong Yang
Using MySQL Noinstall Package
Tutorial example on how to download and install MySQL server using the noinstall package on a Windows system. Data directory is required to run MySQL server.
1. Go to MySQL download Website at dev.mysql.com/downloads and click on the "Community (GPL) Downloads" in the "MySQL Community Edition" section. The "MySQL Community Downloads" page shows up.
2. Click the "Download" button next to "Windows (x86, 64-bit), ZIP Archive 8.0.16 228.9M" in the "Other Downloads:" section. The "Begin Your Download - mysql-8.0.16-winx64.zip" page shows up.
3. Click the "No thanks, just start my download." link to skip the login process. The download process starts.
4. Save the downloaded file, mysql-8.0.16-winx64.zip, to the \temp folder.
5. Unzip \temp\mysql-8.0.16-winx64.zip to "\temp\mysql" and move it to "\local\mysql".
6. Now try to start the MySQL server by running "\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe" program:
C:\herong>\mysql\bin\mysqld [System] [MY-010116] [Server] C:\local\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe (mysqld 8.0.16) starting as process 11928 [Warning] [MY-010091] [Server] Can't create test file C:\local\mysql\data\localhost.lower-test [ERROR] [MY-013276] [Server] Failed to set datadir to 'C:\local\mysql\data\' (OS errno: 2 - No such file or directory) [ERROR] [MY-010119] [Server] Aborting [System] [MY-010910] [Server] C:\local\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe: Shutdown complete (mysqld 8.0.16) MySQL Community Server - GPL.
As you can see from the output, the MySQL server program is ready. But the server data directory is not ready. See the next tutorial to initialize MySQL data directory.
Table of Contents