MySQL Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 4.20, by Dr. Herong Yang
Using MySQL Noinstall Package
This section provides a tutorial example on how to download and install MySQL 5.7.10 noinstall package on a Windows system. Configuration is required to start MySQL 5.7.10 server.
1. Go to http://dev.mysql.com/downloads and click on the "Community (GPL) Downloads" in the "MySQL Community Edition" section. The "MySQL Community Downloads" page shows up.
2. Click the "MySQL Community Server (GPL)" link. The "Download MySQL Community Server" page shows up.
3. Click the "Download" button next to "Windows (x86, 32-bit), ZIP Archive 5.7.10 320.7M" in the "Other Downloads:" section. The "Begin Your Download - mysql-5.7.10-win32.zip" page shows up.
4. Click the "No thanks, just start my download." link to skip the login process. The download process starts.
5. Save the downloaded file, mysql-5.7.10-win32.zip, to the \temp folder.
6. Unzip mysql-5.7.10-win32.zip to "\temp" and move "\temp\mysql-5.7.10-win32" to "\mysql".
7. Now try to start the MySQL 5.7.10 server by running "\mysql\bin\mysqld":
C:\herong>\mysql\bin\mysqld mysqld: Could not create or access the registry key needed for the MySQL application to log to the Windows EventLog. Run the application with sufficient privileges once to create the key, add the key manually, or turn off logging for that application. mysqld: Can't change dir to 'C:\mysql\data\' (Errcode: 2 - No such file or directory) 03:05:12.131578Z 0 [Warning] TIMESTAMP with implicit DEFAULT value is deprecated. Please use --explicit_defaults_for_timestamp server option (see documentation for more details). 03:05:12.131578Z 0 [Warning] Insecure configuration for --secure-file-priv: Current value does not restrict location of generated files. Consider setting it to a valid, non-empty path. 03:05:12.132578Z 0 [ERROR] Cannot open Windows EventLog; check privileges, or start server with --log_syslog=0 03:05:12.132578Z 0 [Note] \mysql\bin\mysqld (mysqld 5.7.10) starting as process 7256 ... 03:05:12.135578Z 0 [Warning] Can't create test file C:\mysql\data\localhost.lower-test 03:05:12.135578Z 0 [Warning] Can't create test file C:\mysql\data\localhost.lower-test 03:05:12.135578Z 0 [ERROR] failed to set datadir to C:\mysql\data\ 03:05:12.136578Z 0 [ERROR] Aborting 03:05:12.136578Z 0 [Note] Binlog end 03:05:12.136578Z 0 [Note] \mysql\bin\mysqld: Shutdown complete
Too bad, additional configuration seems to be needed before we can start the server. Installing MySQL 5.7.10 with the noinstall package is not so easy as previous versions. So we should take intaller package, not the noinstall package from now on.
Last update: 2015.
Table of Contents