Performance Tests on Serial Collector
This chapter provides tutorial notes and example codes on performance impact of Serial collector, Topics include heap footprint; GC logging impact; wait time impact; heap size impact; running Young GC only, running more Old GC.
These sections are omitted from this Web preview version. To view the full content,
see information on how to obtain the full version this book.
Serial GC Footprint - Free Heap 4%
GC Logging Impact on Serial GC
Heap Size Impact on Serial GC
Serial GC on 400MB Heap
Serial GC on 800MB Heap
Serial GC on 1600MB Heap
Performance of Serial Young GC
Object Size Impact on Serial Young GC
Chunk Size Impact on Serial Young GC
Performance of Serial Full GC
Serial Full GC on 1600MB Tenured Space
Object Size Impact on Serial Old GC
Performance Summary of Serial Collector
- The Serial collector requires about 4% free heap space to perform
- GC logging has little impact on application performance.
- More free heap space will increase application performance.
- Serial Young GC and Old GC provide about the same application performance.
- Serial Young GC and Old GC provide about the same application throughput performance.
- Serial Young GC and Old GC provide about the same performance regardless of object size.
- With certain Young and Tenuring configuration,
like 800 MB heap and default NewRatio/Survivor ratios, Serial Minor
GC fails to remove dead objects, and copies them to Tenured generation.
Those failed GCs uses much long times, impacting heavily on latency.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Heap Memory Area and Size Control
JVM Garbage Collection Logging
Introduction of Garbage Collectors
Serial Collector - "+XX:+UseSerialGC"
Parallel Collector - "+XX:+UseParallelGC"
Concurrent Mark-Sweep (CMS) Collector - "+XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC"
Garbage First (G1) Collector - "+XX:+UseG1GC"
The Z Garbage Collector (ZGC) - "+XX:+UseZGC"
Object References and Garbage Collection
Garbage Collection Performance Test Program
►Performance Tests on Serial Collector
Performance Tests on Parallel collector
Performance Tests on Concurrent collector
Performance Tests on G1 collector
Garbage Collection Performance Test Summary
Full Version in PDF/EPUB