JDBC Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - v3.12, by Dr. Herong Yang
Installing Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express Edition
This section describes how to download and install Microsoft SQL Server 21014 Express Edition.
Warning: This tutorial is deprecated. Contents may not be valid any more.
Here is what I did to download a copy of SQL Server 2014 Express Edition on my Windows computer.
1. Go to the SQL Server download Website at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/sql-server-downloads.
2. Then click on the "Express" button
3. Click the "Download SQL Server 2014 Express" link. You will see a download request form.
4. Fill in the form with "SQL Server 2014 Express with Tools 32 Bit" selected. The click "Continue".
5. Save the download file to C:\temp directory. When the download is done, you should get the following file:
Name: SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe Description: Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express with Tools Location: C:\temp Size: 881,606,336 bytes Version: 12.0.2000.8
As a reference, here is what I did to install SQL Server 2014 Express Edition on my Windows computer.
1. Double click c:\temp\SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe. The setup window shows up.
2. Click Next to let the setup program to unpack all files from the downloaded file.
3. When unpack is down, following instructions given on the installation window.
4. On the Authentication Mode window, click the radio button for Mixed Mode (Windows Authentication and SQL Server Authentication). And enter "HerongY@ng" in the "Specify the password for the SQL Server system administrator (sa) account):" field.
5. Continue to finish the installation process.
When installation is done, run Windows Task Manager with "Show processes from all users" turned on. You should see a process called sqlservr.exe running in the process list:
sqlservr.exe 00 122,616 K
If you look at file folders, you will see that SQL Server 2014 Express Edition is installed in the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL" folder.
Table of Contents