JDBC Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - v3.12, by Dr. Herong Yang
Downloading and Installing JDK on Mac
This section describes how to download and install JDK on a macOS computer.
To learn JDBC, you need to have JDK installed on your computer. If you are Mac user, you can follow what I did to download and install JDK 13 on your Mac computer.
1. Go to Oracle Java SE download website at oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html.
2. Click "Download" next to "Java Platform (JDK) 13".
3. Click "jdk-13_osx-x64.bin.tar.gz" from the download list. It will be saved to your "Downloads" directory automatically.
4. Start a Terminal window and run commands below to install it.
herong$ cd ~/Downloads herong$ gunzip jdk-13_osx-x64.bin.tar.gz herong$ tar -xf jdk-13_osx-64.bin.tar herong$ sudo mv jdk-13.jdk/ /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/
5. Test the installation, open a command window to try the java command. If you are getting the following output, your installation was ok:
herong$ java -version java version "13" 2019-09-17 Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 13+33) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 13+33, mixed mode, sharing) herong$ javac -version javac 13
6. Set the JAVA_HOME environment variable, so other applications can find where JDK is installed. This can be done with an "export" command. The backslash at the end of line indicates that the command continues on the next line.
herong$ export \ JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-13.jdk/Contents/Home
Congratulations, you have successfully installed JDK on your mac computer!
Table of Contents